Mike Gruber is the must-hire trial lawyer for large, complicated cases with enormous stakes. Unlike many litigators, he isn’t afraid of the number of zeroes in a claim – throughout his career, clients’ dollars at risk have risen into the billions, including several such cases in just the last few years. Mike represents companies, executives, bankruptcy trustees, wealthy families, trusts and individuals as plaintiffs and defendants on their most sensitive, high-risk, confidential and contentious matters.
Mike is as skilled in litigation avoidance and pre-litigation strategy as he is in state and federal courts in Texas, as well as in other jurisdictions. With subject matter ranging from warring families in major probate disputes, the jurisdiction of bankruptcy courts (a seminal case, Wellness v. Shariff, won in the U.S. Supreme Court in 2015), a billion-dollar fraudulent transfer case, breach of fiduciary duty, fraud, and intellectual property ownership claims, to energy and real estate investments gone bad, Mike has the proven experience, confidence and drive that clients seek and referral sources trust.
Awards listed are net of attorneys' fees and expenses.
- In 2017, represented the Mayor of Dallas, preventing the liquidation of the Police and Fire Pension Fund
- Served as Counsel to School Board President Kathleen Leos in highly publicized DISD litigation after she sought a fraud investigation of the School District
- In 2015, won a seminal case on bankruptcy court and magistrate jurisdiction, Wellness v. Shariff, in the U.S. Supreme Court
- In 2014 - 2017, successfully handled two, billion-dollar probate fights
- Successfully defended ElkCorp in a $2 billion tender offer strike litigation
- Represented the original investors in Blockbuster Video at trial, resulting in a $123 million dollar judgment
- $30 million verdict in a fraud claim for Main Street Ventures against Shell Oil Company
- $22 million judgment in sexual assault/Dram Shop case following bench trial (largest bench trial verdict in Texas - 2015)
- Represented a key employee in a $20 million jury verdict in an employment case against Roche Pharmaceuticals
- Represented Bankruptcy Trustee in a $45 million settlement, on the third day of trial, in Texas federal court over the conversion of a large oil and gas concession
- Represented investors in Enron-related litigation against a major financial institution, and obtained a $40 million dollar settlement on the first day of trial
- $35 million settlement in a fiduciary partnership dispute
- Represented Securus Technologies, a developer of criminal justice technology solutions, with more than $35 million in settlements in patent litigation over 6 years
- Obtained a $20 million settlement on behalf of a co-founder of a multi-billion dollar investment fund
- $10 million-dollar settlement for Collins Family Trust after arbitration award and judgment – involving a fraudulent financing scheme
- Wellness International Network
- Pappas Brothers
- Securus Corp.
- Interstate Batteries
- CBRE Trammell Crow
- Texas Capital Bank
- Jones Lang LaSalle
- Front Burner Brands / Twin Peaks
- Ryan, Inc.
- BosGen Liquidating Trust
- MCAR Liquidating Trust
- THQ Liquidating Trust
- Dedman Family Trusts
- Dickey's Family Trusts
- Al G. Hill, Jr. / A.G. Hill Partners, LLC
- Pappas Family Estate
- St. Jude Children's Hospital / ALSAC